Friday 16 October 2020

Nadia Boulanger & Annapurna Devi: "Tiger Teachers" of Music

Nadia Boulanger was an internationally famous teacher, who trained the likes of Daniel Barenboim, Aaron Copland, Philip Glass & many others. In her student days she tried to win the Prix de Rome (composition), but failed. But her younger sister Lili, was the first female composer to win it. But unfortunately Lili died very young. 

Philip Glass says "I studied in the famous Julliard School of Music in New York, but when I went to Nadia, I erased everything & started afresh. Once, due to unavoidable reasons, I was a trifle late for a lesson. She reacted so strongly, that it would have been  better to go back & phone some excuse. She made sure I never went late again. Fortunately, I didn't live with her. It would have killed me!" 

When Hariprasad Chaurasia, already a successful  professional flautist, wanted to study with Annapurna, she insisted that he play left-handed, so that she could teach him from scratch. (like Nadia & Glass). Even then she was very rigorous & uncompromising & once in a fit of fury, broke a tanpura on Chaurasia's head!

No comments:

Post a Comment