Wednesday 15 December 2021

The Wittiest Couple in Shakespeare

These are Benedick & Beatrice in "Much ado about nothing." Their charming fencing with words is the highlight of the play. Both are against marriage for most of the play. Benedick says;

"That a woman conceived me, I thank her;

That she brought me up, I likewise give her most humble thanks;

But (to think I will go further), all women shall pardon me."

Beatrice: I had rather hear my dog bark at a crow than hear a man swear he loves me.

Benedick: What my dear Lady Disdain! Are you yet living?

Beatrice: Is it possible Disdain should die while she hath such meet food to feed it as Signor Benedick?

When Benedick goes to war, Beatrice has such a poor opinion of his prowess that she promises to eat anyone whom he kills!

Finally, their friends set a trap & convince Benedick that Beatrice is dying of love for him. Then Benedick thinks "If I do not take pity on her, I am a villain."

When a similar game is played on Beatrice, she thinks "Farewell, contempt & scorn,& maiden pride, adieu! Benedick, love on; I will requite you, taming my wild heart to your loving hand."

No comments:

Post a Comment