Thursday 24 March 2022

Indian legends first tryst at the top

Sachin Tendulkar played his first Test match against Pakistan in November 1989. He writes "I hadn't quite anticipated what awaited me out in the middle. I was all at sea against the pace which was far greater than I had ever faced & the skill on display was of the very highest standard. I lasted only 24 balls, half of which I missed, hit two boundaries & was bowled for a lucky 15. The difference in standard between domestic & international cricket was colossal."

Viswanathan Anand played Gary Kasparov for the World Championship Match in New York in September 1995. He writes "Kasparov was a five time World Champion & World No 1. I may have been placed second but to his match experience, mine hovered near zilch. We began with 8 draws & then I won one. Then Kasparov returned as an ill-tempered, marauding highwayman, & I fell behind him by a full point. The blows that had struck (Nigel) Short two years ago, were now raining down on me thick & fast. Kasparov won the championship by 3 full  points. Frankly, I was not ready for a match of that magnitude."

No comments:

Post a Comment